Monday, November 23, 2015

Preparing for winter storms - El Nino

In preparation for the predicted turbulent winter storm season, the Town Public Works Department has prepared the following FAQs for our residents:

¨Who do I call when there is a flood or storm drain that is affecting public drains and roads?

Public Works is the department in the Town of Windsor that handles emergency calls relating to public facilities that are plugged or public roads that are inundated.  Please contact 838-1000.  After-hour calls will be automatically routed to the Town’s answering service and will contact the Public Works standby personnel to respond.

¨Who do I call for a tree that has fallen or ready to fall?

For public street trees or trees in a public park, contact Public Works at 838-1000.  Residents are responsible for fallen private trees.  If the tree has fallen onto a public street, contact Public Works. If the caller believes the situation is a public safety hazard, call 9-1-1.

 ¨What if the stormwater enters my private property? Will the Town provide sandbags?

The Town does not provide sand or sandbags to residents.  Residents may contact the following nearby stores to obtain sand and/or sandbags:

Garrett’s Ace Hardware (Windsor) 433-6590, has premade sandbags, empty sandbags and some sand

Home Depot (Windsor) 836-0377, has empty sandbags and no bulk sand in stock

Ramm Rock Supply (SR), 528-6067, has premade sandbags, empty sandbags and bulk sand

SBI Landscaping (Windsor) 431-1617, has empty sandbags and bulk sand

Whitecap Supply (SR), 586-4330, has premade sandbags, empty bags and bulk sand
¨I live in the County but very close to Town limits.  Who should I call for flood issues?

If your property is in the unincorporated area of Sonoma County, please contact Sonoma County Water Agency Operations at 523-1070.

 ¨There is a downed power line in front of my house.  Who should I call?

Call 9-1-1.

 ¨I can’t get out of my driveway because of flooded streets.

Do not attempt to drive through flood waters.  Contact Public Works at 838-1000 and notify them of the flooded street.  If it is life-threatening emergency situation, call 9-1-1.